Sunday, November 11, 2012

Where did the term 'My Rock' come from?

Why were rocks first seen as something to rely upon?

Psalm 28:1 Unto thee will I cry, O LORD my rock; be not silent to me: lest, if thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit.

Psalm 18:2 The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Deut 32:4 He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.

Deut 32:15 But Jeshurun waxed fat, and kicked: thou art waxen fat, thou art grown thick, thou art covered with fatness; then he forsook God which made him, and lightly esteemed the Rock of his salvation.

Deut 32:31 For their rock is not as our Rock, even our enemies themselves being judges.

1 Samuel 2:2 There is none holy as the LORD: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God.

2 Samuel 22:2 And he said, The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer;

2 Samuel 22:3 The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence.

2 Samuel 22:32 For who is God, save the LORD? and who is a rock, save our God?

2 Samuel 22:47 The LORD liveth; and blessed be my rock; and exalted be the God of the rock of my salvation.

2 Samuel 23:3 The God of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spake to me, He that ruleth over men must be just, ruling in the fear of God.

Psalm 18:2 The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

Psalm 61:2 From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
Psalm 78:35 And they remembered that God was their rock, and the high God their redeemer.


VOLCANOES.
Kindly Bookmark and Share it:

2 comments:

  1. "Why were rocks first seen as something to rely upon?"

    Because rocks are big and strong and hard. Any society - whether or not it originated in the ancient Jewish tradition - could come to the same conclusion.

    Volcanoes not required.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If 'My Rock' was used once or twice then it could realistically have been just figurative. However, it was used so many times that it must have been based on reality.

    'High tower'. So he is a rock and a high tower, and it's all just figurative. It's strange both terms fit a volcano. Then, of course, there is 'mountain of fire'. Hmmm....odder and odder. Not forgetting 'holy hill'. Then there is 'his oracle', 'his dwelling place' 'his abode' and even 'the mountain of his house', the latter refering to the inside of the summit of a volcano and not a temple on a mount.

    See this.....


    http://ohmyvolcano.blogspot.com/2011/11/where-does-god-live.html

    ReplyDelete